Utah’s iconic Steep Mountain (aka Point of the Mountain) is currently being mined away at an alarming rate. As the mountain is mined, the aesthetics of the skyline go with it, likely decreasing property values and incentives for businesses to open their doors in the surrounding communities. Additionally, significant numbers of outdoor enthusiasts depend on Steep Mountain for recreation, including hang glider and paraglider pilots, mountain bikers, hikers, and trail runners. Act now to help preserve a unique part of Utah’s history so it can be a valuable and viable part of Utah’s future…
The mountain has been mined for many years, this didn’t happen overnight. For more information on how this situation came to be, read on.
In The News
We are trying to make cooperative waves in the media. Here are some of our stories that have made it online, in print, and on television.
- In 1990 when the POM quarry began, the surrounding population, comprised of residents living in the cities of Draper, Bluffdale, Riverton, Alpine, Highland, and Lehi, weighed in at 37,939. In 20 years, that population has grown to 164,742 residents, an increase of 334%- http://goo.gl/dBd1N
- Common hours of operation: 20 hours/day, 6 days/week. Can operate 24 hours/day, 7 days/weekhttp://goo.gl/GwnxQ
- Entire permitted area covers 486.5 acres: Phase 1 (288 acres) is currently zoned for active mining and reclamationhttp://goo.gl/GwnxQ
- 872 acres of land owned by Geneva Rock in Draper (15547 S 300 W): 419.5 of that is the POM quarryhttp://goo.gl/GwnxQ
- Total mining planned to produce a capacity of 232.5 million cubic yards, that’s 6.28 BILLION CUBIC FEEThttp://goo.gl/GwnxQ
- Geneva Rock has plans and valid permits to mine for 70+ yearshttp://goo.gl/GwnxQ
Live this evening on on PCTV, Chris Santacroce will be discussing the current issues facing...April 8, 2013
We attended the Utah Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association (UHGPGA.org) last night and are excited about...March 22, 2013
Phew! We are still trying to play catchup with the website and all that is...March 21, 2013
This was sent to us by Chris Santacroce, a local free flight instructor and homeowner...March 11, 2013